According to WVTM13 on August 18th:

Walker High School was dismissed early on their second day of school Tuesday because of a gas leak in the school parking lot.

Alagasco officials say someone smelled natural gas and saw bubbles coming from the ground.

Students were initially evacuated to the cafeteria for safety reasons when the leak was discovered.

“Mr. Boling came over the intercom and kind of just told us that there’s been a gas leak and we were all going to have to stay in the cafeteria,” student Jodi Ann Martin said.

Some students were in Songer Gym, which was closer to the leak area.

“They were told to walk all the way around as far away from the leak as they could … and go to the cafeteria,” student Cynthia Hayes said.

Students were sent home for the day around 10 a.m.

Officials said the gas leaked around joints where several gas lines connect.

Bevill State Community College was also evacuated while work to fix the leak continued. That school is back open.